All posts by NHL | theScore

VIDEO: Blues’ Reaves ejected for hit from behind on Sharks’ Tennyson

Reaves hit on Tennyson knocking him out

St. Louis Blues defenseman Ryan Reaves received a five-minute major for boarding and a game misconduct after nailing San Jose Sharks defenseman Matt Tennyson face-first into the boards during the first period Monday.

Tennyson appeared to be unconscious as his head slammed against the ice after the hit. He slowly skated off with help from teammates before heading to the dressing room.

Reaves will certainly be hearing from the NHL's Department of Player Safety. The 29-year-old received a maximum $5,000 fine earlier this season for catching forward Anze Kopitar with a cheap shot during a Nov. 3 game against the Los Angeles Kings.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Polak jokes he, Spaling will ‘for sure’ be part of Sharks’ power play

The San Jose Sharks made a move ahead of the Feb. 29 trade deadline Monday by acquiring defenseman Roman Polak and forward Nick Spaling from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forward Raffi Torres and a pair of draft picks.

Related: Maple Leafs trade Polak, Spaling to Sharks for 2 second-round picks, Torres

While many see this deal as a depth move for a potential Sharks playoff run, Polak is heading to San Jose optimistic that he and Spaling can provide more.

"Nick and I will be part of the power play for sure because we have two goals together," Polak joked Monday, according to Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun. Both players have just one goal this season, with Spaling's lone tally coming Saturday - in his final game as a Leaf.

While they may not see much time on the man advantage, Polak is certainly excited about moving to a competitive team.

"It's always to nice to play a game that actually means something," he said.

The pair aren't available for Monday against the St. Louis Blues, but could make their debuts Wednesday against the Colorado Avalanche.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Benning: ‘I don’t think we gave up on Hunter Shinkaruk’

Hunter Shinkaruk got a fair shake, at least in the mind of Jim Benning.

The Vancouver Canucks GM defended his contentious decision to part with the 21-year-old former first-round pick and perhaps the club's top prospect at wing to acquire Markus Granlund from the Calgary Flames in a trade completed Monday.

Related: Canucks deal Hunter Shinkaruk to Flames for Markus Granlund

"I don't think we gave up on Hunter Shinkaruk," Benning said in a conference call. "He's having a good year in the (AHL) for us this year. We worked with him to improve the details in his game. But we just felt that we're getting a good player for him in return.

"This is a move that when we get to where we want to be (competitively) and win on a nightly basis that Markus is the guy that can do that for us."

Benning further explained why Shinkaruk, who ranks seventh in American Hockey League goal scoring this season, had only been called up for one game in his brief tenure with Vancouver.

"When we call players up, it's to fit a role with our group," he said. "I think at the end of the day, we didn't feel he was ready to be a full-time NHL player yet. We thought it was important for him to stay down in Utica and keep developing the parts of the game that he needed to work on.

"Our goal, if we were to have kept him, was for him to be ready to play in the NHL next season."

Benning acknowledged Shinkaruk's penchant for finding the back of the net, but indicated he wasn't convinced that skill would translate to the next level.

Vancouver and its 29th-ranked offense sits nine points out of the final postseason spot in the Pacific Division.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Shinkaruk: ‘My head is spinning, but I could not be happier’ to join hometown Flames

Hunter Shinkaruk probably needed a seat when he heard the news.

The 21-year-old was traded by the Vancouver Canucks to his hometown Calgary Flames on Monday, and while being dealt for the first time in his career is jarring, there's relief in knowing he's going somewhere familiar.

"I've never been traded before in junior or pro, so obviously it's a big surprise and a big shock," Shinkaruk said, according to the Vancouver Province's Ben Kuzma.

"Obviously my head is spinning," he added, "but I could not be happier."

"A kid growing up in Calgary, he wants to win in Calgary," Shinkaruk said. "So it's pretty cool I have that opportunity."

Shinkaruk never got much of an opportunity in Vancouver, the Canucks deeming him not NHL-ready. After a full season in the AHL in 2014-15, in which the winger scored 16 goals and added 15 assists in 74 games, Shinkaruk's taken strides this season. He has 21 goals - good for seventh in the AHL - in 45 games, along with 18 assists.

Shinkaruk will report to Calgary's AHL affiliate in Stockton, but he's a Flame, and will soon live out a dream he undoubtedly had as a child.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Canucks deal Hunter Shinkaruk to Flames for Markus Granlund

For the second straight season, the Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames have swung a deadline deal.

Vancouver has sent winger Hunter Shinkaruk - a former first-round pick and Calgary native - to the Flames in exchange for center Markus Granlund, the Canucks have confirmed.

Shinkaruk has appeared in one game - and logged less than 10 minutes - with the Canucks since being selected 24th overall back in 2013. He leads the AHL's Utica Comets in scoring in his second professional season, with 21 goals and 39 points.

Granlund, selected in the second round two years prior, has four goals and seven points in 31 games with the big club this season. He's seen time in the minors in all three seasons with the organization, amassing 14 goals and 14 assists in 86 total games.

Vancouver landed Sven Baertschi in exchange for a second-round pick in a deal with Calgary last spring. The Flames used the pick to select Rasmus Andersson, a defenseman contributing at nearly a point-per-game pace with the OHL's Barrie Colts.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Komarov apologized to McDonagh for elbow via text

Toronto Maple Leafs forward Leo Komarov was suspended three games for a elbow to the head of Ryan McDonagh, but the New York Rangers defenseman holds no ill will towards the fellow All-Star after receiving an apology - via text.

"(Komarov) did try to apologize during the game, but I was showering so we didn’t meet up," McDonagh told Larry Brooks from the New York Post on Monday. "But he did message me, so I was real appreciative of that."

The 26-year-old was playing in just his second game since returning from a concussion suffered on a punch from Wayne Simmonds of the Philadelphia Flyers. McDonagh avoided a concussion on the Komarov hit, but sat out Sunday's win against the Detroit Red Wings.

"It's an unfortunate hit, a play you want out of this league, like many guys have said," McDonagh added.

It's not the first time Komarov has had to apologize for a hit this season, following a sorry directed at Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Kris Letang for a dangerous hit from behind while they were in Nashville for All-Star Weekend.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Baby concussed after being accidentally hit by puck tossed from P.K. Subban

What was an exciting day for many Montreal Canadiens fans turned into a scary ordeal for one particular family.

On Sunday, 17,000 fans packed the Bell Centre in Montreal to watch the team's open practice. Canadiens players circled the ice and threw pucks into the stands for children in attendance. However, a puck tossed by star defenseman P.K. Subban accidentally struck a one-month-old baby directly in the head.

The baby girl, Beatrice, suffered a concussion and remains under observation. She's expected to fully recover, according to her mother Valerie Meloche.

Meloche issued the post thanking fans who immediately came to the aid of her daughter following the incident.

Canadiens vice president of communications, Donald Beauchamp, indicated that members of the organization visited the family at the hospital. He also said Subban's planning to apologize to the family, even though he isn't directly to blame for the incident.

"I can tell you, P.K. is really excited to meet the family and hold the little one in his arms," Beachamp told TVA.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Mike Babcock: ‘We have a plan to do the right thing for the Leafs’

As the veterans depart, Mike Babcock wants Toronto Maple Leafs fans to know that this is all part of the plan - and nothing's going to be handed to the kids.

Roman Polak and Nick Spaling were traded to the San Jose Sharks on Monday, one day after Shawn Matthias was sent to the Colorado Avalanche.

Related: Maple Leafs trade Polak, Spaling to Sharks for 2 second-round picks, Torres

"(The) guys who left were good people," Babcock said after practice Monday, according to TSN's Mark Masters. "That's the people part of the (business). The (business) part of the (business) is we're excited to have the kids."

Toronto's accumulating draft picks as it continues to gut its roster, and that means spots for younger players are opening up. Defenseman Stuart Percy and forward Brendan Leipsic were recalled from the AHL's Toronto Marlies, who are currently sitting in first place, after the trade.

"Nothing's going to be given to them, they have to earn it," Babcock said. "That's just the way the league is. It's a hard league and it exposes weakness in everybody.

More trades are coming, which means more young players will get a chance with the big club. Michael Grabner, P.A. Parenteau, Brad Boyes, and James Reimer all have expiring contracts.

"If you work hard today, everything's going to be OK for you," the head coach added. "That, to me, is the key thing and the message to our team."

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Panthers’ Barkov expected to return Thursday, Huberdeau ruled out

It's a case of good news and bad news for the Florida Panthers.

Aleksander Barkov is likely to return to the lineup Thursday against the Arizona Coyotes, Panthers head coach Gerard Gallant said Monday, according to Jameson Olive of the club's official website.

Barkov has missed six games since being hit high by Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader on Feb. 8.

Related: Panthers livid over Abdelkader's 'cheap shot' on Barkov

Panthers forward Jonathan Huberdeau, however, won't play Thursday, Gallant said. Huberdeau left Saturday's game after being hit awkwardly into the boards by Winnipeg Jets defenseman Jacob Trouba.

Defenseman Erik Gudbranson, who has been out since Feb. 4, is also likely to return to the Panthers' lineup against the Coyotes.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Jaromir Jagr leads NHL’s 3 stars of the week

Florida Panthers forward Jaromir Jagr, Minnesota Wild forward Erik Haula, and Ottawa Senators goalie Craig Anderson were named the NHL's three stars of the week Monday.

Jagr scored three goals in three games last week while moving into sole possession of third place on the NHL's all-time goal-scoring list.

Related: Jaromir Jagr scores 742nd goal to pass Brett Hull for 3rd all time

The 44-year-old has 20 goals and 43 points in 56 games this season.

Haula put together an impressive seven-point week, highlighted by the first three-point performance of his NHL career during Sunday's outdoor game.

Anderson was nothing short of exceptional last week, keeping the Senators' playoff hopes alive with three consecutive wins.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.