Flames’ Elliott: ‘I’ve wanted this opportunity and am ready for it’

Finally, Brian Elliott is the unquestioned No. 1 goalie on his team.

The veteran netminder, who's been stuck in tandem situations despite excellent personal numbers in recent seasons, took to Twitter on Saturday to address being traded to the Calgary Flames, a team he's clearly excited to join.

He also offered the following about his departure from the St. Louis Blues:

First off, I want to thank the Blues organization. I'm proud to have been a part of it for the last 5 years and be one of the (Blues alumni). I've had some amazing teammates, and made friendships inside and outside of hockey that I'll always be grateful for. To the fans, thank you for the support over the last five years. My time in St. Louis wouldn't have been the same without it. #mooooooose

The 31-year-old has posted a career save percentage of .914 in 323 appearances, with a personal high of 29 wins with the Ottawa Senators in 2009-10.

Elliott is the only goalie under contract for next season, with Joni Ortio (restricted) and Karri Ramo (unrestricted) both heading to free agency. As such, he'll likely challenge his highs in both single-season appearances and wins in 2016-17.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Report: Shaw, Canadiens negotiating potential long-term contract

Andrew Shaw could soon devote what remains of his prime seasons to Marc Bergevin and the Montreal Canadiens.

Contract negotiations between the restricted free agent and Montreal remain ongoing, and could soon result in a five- to seven-year pact, reports TSN's Darren Dreger.

He was close to an extension to stay with the Chicago Blackhawks, Dreger reported previously, but was priced out when the salary cap was established below the projected $75-million ceiling.

Shaw was traded to Montreal for two second-round draft picks in a move general manager Stan Bowman said alleviated the team's salary cap concerns.

The 24-year-old has been tight-lipped since the trade, but offered this bit of insight on contract talks:

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Blues trade up to select former 2014 1st-round pick Conner Bleackley

The St. Louis Blues acquired the 144th selection in this year's draft from the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday, and used it to select former first-round pick Conner Bleackley.

The Blues gave up a 2017 fifth-round pick for the selection.

Bleackley was originally drafted 23rd overall by the Colorado Avalanche in 2014. In February, the Avalanche traded him to the Arizona Coyotes as part of the deal that saw Mikkel Boedker swapped for Alex Tanguay.

The 20-year-old reentered this year's draft after the Coyotes announced they wouldn't sign him. He's coming off his third full season with the Red Deer Rebels of the Western Hockey League, where he had 13 goals and 46 points in 55 games.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Penguins GM: ‘We’re not trading Malkin’

If there was even an ounce of doubt, Jim Rutherford is putting it to rest.

Speaking on the NHL Network during the later rounds of the draft Saturday, the Pittsburgh Penguins general manager debunked any notion that Evgeni Malkin isn't in the team's plans moving forward.

"Let me make this easy on everybody - we're not trading Malkin," Rutherford said.

"We've never talked about it. We don't want to do it," he added.

Malkin, who's set to turn 30 in July, remains under contract through the 2021-22 season at a salary cap hit of $9.5 million and with a no-move clause to boot.

The Russian superstar recorded six goals and 12 assists during the team's recent Stanley Cup run while playing with a significant elbow injury.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Rutherford: Fleury will start season with Penguins

Marc-Andre Fleury's safe for the summer.

Jim Rutherford told Sportsnet's John Shannon on Saturday at the NHL draft that the goaltender will start the season with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The veteran Fleury was usurped by rookie upstart Matt Murray for the club's title run after suffering his second concussion of the season in late March.

In the time since lifting his second Stanley Cup, the former No. 1 overall draft selection was linked to Calgary, but, after apparently exploring that option, Flames GM Brad Treliving has since supplemented his crease with Brian Elliott.

The only other team truly in the market for a No. 1 goaltender was the Toronto Maple Leafs, who jumped at the opportunity to land Frederik Andersen from the Anaheim Ducks.

Though it appears he'll return, the impending expansion draft will continue to cast Fleury's future with the Penguins in doubt. With a full no-movement clause in his contract, Pittsburgh must rescue him - not Murray - when the time comes for teams to submit their protected rosters.

In keeping Fleury, the organization will be afforded more time to appropriately evaluate Murray, who has just 13 regular-season starts to his credit.

Rutherford also told the NHL Network that Evgeni Malkin won't be dealt either.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Stars trade Jack Campbell to Kings for Nick Ebert

The Los Angeles Kings announced Saturday the trade of defenseman Nick Ebert to the Dallas Stars for goaltender Jack Campbell.

Campbell was drafted 11th overall in 2010, but has failed to make a splash in the NHL.

The 24-year-old played just one game for the Stars - in the 2013-14 season - and after spending time with the AHL's Texas Stars. He was demoted to the ECHL where he spent the majority of the 2015-16 campaign.

In Ebert, the Stars get a 2012 seventh-round pick who's spent the last two seasons in the AHL. He finished this year with two goals and 12 points in 44 games with the Ontario Reign.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Report: Jets, Blues, Red Wings among teams interested in Okposo

Kyle Okposo will have no shortage of options as an unrestricted free agent.

With the free-agent contact window now open, at least five teams have already expressed interest in the winger's services, a source told Arthur Staple of Newsday.

That list of clubs reportedly includes the Winnipeg Jets, St. Louis Blues, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild, and Detroit Red Wings.

Okposo is set to officially hit the open market July 1 after eight seasons with the New York Islanders, who drafted him seventh overall in 2007.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Penguins trade Beau Bennett to Devils for 77th pick

The Pittsburgh Penguins have cut bait on former first-round draft selection Beau Bennett.

General manager Jim Rutherford dealt Bennett to the New Jersey Devils for the 77th overall pick in the 2016 NHL Draft, a selection the club would use on Kitchener Rangers defenseman Connor Hall.

Bennett, who was drafted by Devils general manager Ray Shero in 2010, dealt with myriad injuries in his four seasons with the Penguins organization. He made 129 appearances, including 33 last season, totaling 16 goals and 45 points.

He requires a contract this summer in restricted free agency.

For the Penguins, Hall is a 6-foot-2, 192-pound defenseman who has split time between the Canadian Junior A and Major Junior ranks over the last two seasons.

He represented Canada in U-18 competition.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.

Grandfather sobs after Avalanche draft Tyson Jost

Tyson Jost was selected 10th overall by the Colorado Avalanche and nobody was more proud than his grandfather.

After watching the teenager fulfill his NHL dream, Jost's grandfather was seen sobbing as he embraced his family after the announcement.

Last season, Jost recorded 104 points in 48 games with the BCHL's Penticton Vees.

Copyright © 2016 Score Media Ventures Inc. All rights reserved. Certain content reproduced under license.